Perilla Mint – toxic plant alert
Toxic plant are around us all and our animals all the time. Usually a small dose is not enough to cause a problem. However, when conditions are right and the dose is high enough toxic plants can be deadly.
A common time of concern is when normal feed/pasture is not available. Times of drought, heavy snow, flooding, etc. can create a situation where a grazing animal will eat more of an herb that they would normally leave alone. When this happens they might choose a toxic plant to furnish their nutritive needs.
Perilla mint is a weed that grows in pastures and fields.
- causes respiratory failure in cattle
- grows in shade under trees
- is toxic even after cutting
- increases in taste when wilted
Learn about the basics of how it can cause problems to cattle and what to do about it.